Sunday 20 May 2012

Doing the locomotion in Sri Lanka 2007


A year on, the travel bug resurfaced and took me to my next travel destination, which I chose to be Sri Lanka, where I joined a tour group for two weeks.  I got off on a bad start, as almost as per usual, I set off the x-ray machine with my studded belt at the airport, then in my half-asleep state managed to get off the plane at the Maldives (Sri Lanka was the second stop, but I'd missed the announcement on the plane as I had been asleep).  I ended up asking a few people which country I was in as the sign bearing the name of the airport was really rather meaningless to me in their native language.  Good thing I had my intuition to go by and got back on the plane, or I would not have made it to Sri Lanka!

I must admit I felt like a non-stop locomotive on the trip, except on the last few days where we chilled on the beach, but am so glad we packed in all the beautiful sights.  Having said that, all those 6am starts left me feeling like I needed to hibernate for a week in bed when I got back home!  But I mastered the art of getting ready in a record breaking fifteen minutes, so all was not lost.

I was shocked to see so many military soldiers dotted about in one country (Tamils), I had never seen such was a bizarre sight, and it was so unexpected, but fortunately, their presence felt safe and unthreatening while we toured Sri Lanka.  Equally bizarre and worth a mention was the high security at the temples.  I got searched 4 times (here comes the bizarre shock factor), and had my breasts groped, and I mean REALLY groped by a big, butch looking female guard.  Others in the tour group had similar experiences, so we came to the conclusion that she was an undersexed and overly horny lesbian, and laughed about it later.

I saw so many beautiful sights in the two weeks I was there, that it would be impossible to write about it all, so I have mentioned some of my highlights instead: Anuradhapura, an absolute must-see, with its beautiful reclining Buddha, surrounded by cheeky monkeys everywhere.  The Dambulla Caves were home to five rock temples containing innumerable statues of the Buddha and other deities, as well as some murals that really blew me away.  Aukana, another highlight, was the site of a twelve metre high reclining Buddha.  In Sigiriya I climbed the Victorian metal spiral staircases that lead to the Sigiriya Damsels, with frescoes in beautiful earthy colours showing around twenty bare-breasted nymphs floating on a sea of clouds, all very sensual art.  I was also quite fascinated by the wood carving factory, simply because you saw how natural colour dyes were created through chemical reactions, which was an eye opener.  The elephant safari, just to experience an open topped safari, was also worth the experience, with wind blowing in my face and hair as I rode standing!

Did you know that white pepper is made by pouring boiling water over black peppercorns?  That was news to me.  I learnt it on an ayurvedic tour of a spice garden.  Pepper trees are actually green, and the black pepper we get comes from them being dry roasted in the sun. I never really thought about the origins of their colour until I went there.

Adam's Peak, apparently one of Sri Lanka's most revered pilgrimage sites, involves climbing up 9600 steps to the summit, which amounts to five hours of walking.  I couldn't drink in all that time as there were no pit stops.  I compulsively chewed gum instead, as an alternative illusory thirst quencher, like a cow munches grass all day long.  By the time I reached the top, I felt like I'd dislocated my jaw from all that chewing.  It was the longest and hardest trek I've ever done, and I'm supposedly pretty fit; those steps felt never ending, but despite severely sunburnt shoulders and an incredibly numb pair of legs, I'm glad I reached the top of the summit, and it made me really appreciate our final destination, the beach.

Unawatuna, our final stop, and site of a beautiful beach.  I've never been very tolerant of the heat and get bored sunbathing, but I love the ocean.  It was so, so peaceful and a brilliant way to end the trip.  I chilled in the sea a lot, and joined in the activities such as volleyball, badminton and football on the beach, with the younger crowd on the beach.  I also visited a turtle conservation farm for the first time in my life, and had the opportunity to hold a turtle smaller than the palm of my hand, and only a few days old, which was a memorable moment.  Overall, I had some lovely experiences on the group tour in Sri Lanka, and I'm glad I went, but I think I prefer independent travel best - I've just got to find my ideal travel partner with the same flexible work hours as me now!

That's all folks...more on my next travels.

© Copyright Vanessa Sicre




No comments:

Post a Comment