Wednesday 23 May 2012

African Conservation Experience 2010


Imagine this: back to basics at its finest - I spent the first two weeks of my month in Africa in a tented bush camp with an outdoor bathroom composed of mud walls and no roof or door to speak of, and no hot water without building daily fires.  Temperatures dropped so dramatically at night that I often went to bed wearing two hoodies, thermals, tracksuit bottoms, socks, and even a woolly hat on one occasion!  There was no electricity, meaning that my evening meals were often shared with enormous moths and dung beetles.  It felt a bit like I was living in a commune, where everyone chipped in with the household duties and at mealtimes, and where creative improvisation was the norm, due to lack of basic resources that we take for granted in the UK.

The Hanchi Conservation Project involved 6am starts and me relearning everything concerning equine husbandry, tack and yard maintenance.  This primarily consisted of two hours of horse riding a day, and a hell of a lot of shit shovelling!  So my days were mostly filled with collecting horse manure from the stables and paddocks and making repeat trips to the shit heap, and then tipping the wheelbarrow, with much care needed to not tip it down the sides.  Not quite what I had in mind, though I did develop some biceps good enough to rival She-Ra any day!

Apart from the ubiquitous manure picking, I was fortunate enough to experience the advantage of having a roofless bathroom, and to catch sight of a beautiful sky full of stars every night.  I tracked cheetah and leopard, did some bushwacking with the aid of a machete (and almost whacked my own boot in the process, on one occasion!), and saw wild antelope.  I also went on an amazing helicopter ride, which was akin to a mini safari in the air.  I could not stop smiling to myself, it was such a thrill.  That aside, I also spent a great deal of time daydreaming in between, about buying a French bulldog and relocating to the coast to be by the sea.

My second placement at the animal rehabilitation project took a whopping eleven hours to reach by car, and involved an overnight stay at a hostel in Johannesberg to break up the long drive.  This part of my trip felt like more of an adventure as I had the opportunity to work with serval cats and a wild caracal, even taking them out for walks on leads every day; less enjoyable was getting dead chicks out of the freezer every day for their meals, especially being a vegetarian.

Responsibilities at the rehabilitation centre involved a few nights sleeping out with a warthog appropriately named Pumba, who turned out to be quite an escape artist and needed constant monitoring to curb his destructive tendencies.  My surreal nights with Pumba were spent with him wrapped in a sleeping bag next to me.  I also worked with a crow who needed to be let out of his cage every day for exercise - he made a habit of pecking at all my clothes and generally being annoying for exactly twenty minutes, and then would turn into sweetness personified after said minutes, allowing me to stroke his head and neck, and even falling asleep on my lap on a few occasions.

In Africa, natural resources are milked to their fullest, so no fruit flies in jars for the chameleon’s meals, oh no, I actually had to hunt for flies myself, and place the little reptile (the size of my index finger) in front of a fly on the wall, and wait for him to stick his tongue out and zap the flies one by one until his hunger was satiated.  Working so closely with this creature, I observed that George the chameleon had funny eyes that rotated round to the back of his head without him rotating his body.  I tried to imagine what it would be like if humans could do that.  Some food for thought.

Some funny moments (in hindsight) at the Centre involved the vervet monkey escaping out of his cage and being chased by Pumba, which I can only presume must have almost given the poor thing a heart attack, even with his good tree climbing skills.  Other escapees included one of the serval cats, who decided to stay stuck up a tree until dark.  I also had a giant tortoise pee all the way down my leg and even leave a trail a few metres long on the ground behind him, and me, for that matter.  You see, I meant it when I said this tortoise was big.  Riley the bushbaby, at only 1kg in weight and a mass of grey fur was quite possibly the ugliest animal I have ever seen, but that also made him the cutest.  He looked like a cross between a chinchilla and a gremlin, with monkey hands and feet and moved like a sloth, which was not very much due to his back injury.  Another comical moment was having six son conures (birds) all flock at me at once, with a few quite literally stuck on my head/hair.  I had to jump up and down to tear them away.

A question I have frequently been asked since I got back, is if I would do it all again.  And the answer to that is that while it was an unforgettable and really quite unique experience, I don’t think doing it again would be the same.  And so my search begins once again for my next adventure.  Wherever next will life take me?!  I quite like the idea of working with orangutans in the Malaysian Borneo.

© Copyright Vanessa Sicre











No comments:

Post a Comment