Monday 6 August 2012

My misadventures in Australia 2012


I don’t know exactly what possessed me to travel half way across the world on a whim without doing adequate research beforehand as this was out of character for me.  I suppose I went there to mend my fragile heart, and while I did get the inevitable cathartic experience, as solo travelling forces that upon you, I also had freak weather shadowing what I know could have potentially been an unforgettable trip, despite my emotional state.  Not wanting to fall into the pity trap, I tried my hardest to make the most of my experience while out there.

My first stop was Sydney, where I stayed on Macquarie Street at the Quay Grand Suites, a stone’s throw from the Opera House and the Royal Botanic Gardens.  This was my home for a few days, where I was able to freely explore the city’s cultural offerings.  I spent an afternoon wandering around the infamous Rocks area, a quaint part of town full of cute little boutique shops and wonderful bars with appealing interiors (my guilty pleasure, I must admit).  One evening I caught a ferry to Manly, a surf beach lined with trees that looked unusually like conifers as opposed to palm trees, and innumerable bars.  In my search for an adrenaline hit, I joined a group tour and spent an afternoon on Sydney Bridge – I actually climbed the bridge, safety harnesses in place and dressed in an embarrassing light grey boiler suit!

The Great Barrier Reef is made up of nearly 3, 000 individual reefs, around half have names, while the others are known simply by a five-digit number.  I chose to stay on Hamilton Island in Queensland as it had easy access to the breathtakingly beautiful Whitsunday Islands.  Unfortunately, I returned home without seeing the Barrier Reef due to the adverse weather conditions.  So there was no snorkeling trip to Chalkies beach, no water sports trips, or an afternoon lazing around Whitehaven Beach soaking up some rays.  The furthest I got was Catseye Beach, which turned out to be full of jellyfish!  As the rain persisted, outdoor water activities were ruled out, so I mostly spent my days listening to music on my ipod, walking barefoot in the rain for miles and miles, (flip flops caused a few nasty slips on the wet tarmac, so I quickly learnt that wearing no shoes was a far more practical option), sipping cappuccinos by the Marina, and participating in the spinning classes at the resort’s gym.  Other than that, I also went to the shooting range one morning and got to ‘play’ with a .22 calibre rifle and pistol.  It felt good, especially when I hit the target ten feet away!  When I ran out of ways to entertain myself in the rain, I decided it was time to return home as the weather showed no signs of clearing up.  So I left a week early, but I have plans to go back, and next time I want to share my experiences within a longer time frame and travel more extensively, be it with a friend, or a partner.  It’s too beautiful not to share the experience, and so damn chilled out there – it’s the perfect contrast to London life.  I have already chosen the hotels – a self contained apartment in Darling Harbour, which was my original choice, and one night at the exclusive luxury retreat of Qualia on Hamilton Island, or perhaps a few depending on how full my pockets are on my next visit!

© Copyright Vanessa Sicre


No comments:

Post a Comment